Back to Home

RSW Update: Week 5

47c7c-rsw4

Welcome to WEEK 5 of Ready. Set. WRITE! What is RSW? It’s a summer long writing intensive through which writers write/revise/plan, cheer each other on, and hold each other accountable with weekly updates. On Mondays, I will share my goals and update you on my progress.

1. So, how did I do last week? My posted goals:

* Make changes to chapters 4 – 6 of WIP required.  DONE!

* Work on my short story for upcoming anthology (this is a hush-hush project). 400 words shy of my rough draft goal!

* Create a plot board for second book in trilogy. Switched from plot board to a simple outline. I did complete the plot. I think I’d still like the plot board better. I’m a visual person.

2. THIS WEEK’S GOALS:

* Make changes to chapters 7 – 10 of WIP required.

* Finish rough draft of short story and start fine tuning it for editing.

* Start rough draft of second book in trilogy.

3. A FAVORITE LINE FROM MY STORY OR ONE WORD/PHRASE THAT SUMS UP WHAT I WROTE/REVISED:

Inspired. I worked on my short story via writing sprints with the ladies from The Debut Collective. It’s a group of fantastic women from this year’s UtopYA Con.

4. THE BIGGEST CHALLENGE I FACED THIS WEEK:

Timing! I had my husband home for the week on a staycation. Then, we drove to Michigan. I had a hard time splitting my time between family, writing and reading. In the end, I bought an old fashioned spiral planner and a desk calendar. I scheduled everything surrounding my writing and blog time.

5. SOMETHING I LOVE ABOUT MY WiP:

I love that I’m now able to discuss with my family. Before I only had a concept in my head. I wasn’t sure I could or even should share it with my family. Over the weekend, I was able to tell my parents what I was writing. They thought it was good!

Well, that’s it for now. Gotta get some sleep so that we can hit the road.

Recent Comments

• Eve
    July 6, 2015 - 3:37 am · Reply

Whoohoo! Hey you tried a new format and you want something more visual nothing wrong with that. Good thing is half the work is done for it right? Splitting time can be hard to do but when you have beautiful pages it makes the struggle so worth it! Congrats on being able to share with the family and spread the excitement!

• Pax Asteriae
    July 6, 2015 - 7:32 am · Reply

Sounds like you’ve made great progress on your goals, particularly with having to schedule things around family! I love the idea of using a planner to schedule your time, and love even more that you can talk to your family about your story and share it with them! Good luck with this week, I hope life’s a little more peaceful and lets you enjoy more time with your writing!

• Alison Miller
    July 6, 2015 - 7:48 am · Reply

Finding that balance between work, family, and writing is HARD. Especially during the summer. Sounds like you’ve got a great plan in action. 🙂 Good luck with your goals this week!

• Tonja Drecker
    July 6, 2015 - 7:54 am · Reply

Writing while on the road is so hard, so congrats! I love story boards too. There’s something about having a visual which makes the entire process so much easier. Yay to hitting on those goals. And yay to being able to discuss things with your family!

• Jessica Leake
    July 6, 2015 - 9:37 am · Reply

Yay for meeting your goals last week and even more so for being able to get some encouragement from your family! Hope this week goes just as well for you :).

• Jaime Morrow
    July 6, 2015 - 12:18 pm · Reply

Awesome job with your goals this week, Shantella! And even though you were busy, it sounds like you got some good scheduling/planning in. That’s so important, I find. Hope this is a productive week!

• Eden
    July 8, 2015 - 1:33 pm · Reply

Treating writing like a job, making it your career (even if only your part-time career, if you have to) is a good way to get the words written. Just as you’ve made a commitment to your family, commit to your writing, and the words will follow, Shantella.

And… btw, thanks for the plotboard idea. Somehow, as a mostly-pantser, I’d never considered the idea before.

• prerna pickett
    July 8, 2015 - 7:46 pm · Reply

I’m a visual person too and having a clear plot makes it easier. And having husbands home for vacation always makes it tricky to find time to do anything!